Charging hoverboard sparks house fire in Massachusetts, officials say

A woman and her infant child had to escape the fire through a window.


A woman and her infant child had to evacuate their Massachusetts home through a window after a charging hoverboard sparked a fire inside, according to officials.

The Wareham Fire Department said the woman called 911 at 12:55 a.m. Saturday to report the house fire.

According to fire officials, the woman said that she and her child were unable to get out of the house. The fire alarm operator advised the woman to climb out of a window with the infant.

Responding firefighters and police officers found the mother and child safe outside of the house. The woman told them that she had thrown pillows out of a first-floor window and then placed the infant outside on the pillows before climbing out of the window herself.

The mother and child were transported to the hospital for evaluation. No injuries were reported.

Investigators determined that the fire started where a hoverboard had been charging in the kitchen, and that the ensuing fire and smoke cut off access to a door, which led to the emergency exit out of the window.

The fire was contained in the kitchen area. Officials have not yet determined the monetary value of the damages caused by the fire.

Officials did say that the home had smoke detectors that were in working order and sounded when the fire broke out.