Advertisement

'She was our smoke detector': Newspaper delivery person saves home and family

Because of the delivery driver's actions, the bulk of the damage was done to the garage of the home saving the rest of the house from extensive damage.

Advertisement

A family is alive after flames erupted early Tuesday morning at their Georgia home.

And it could’ve been worse if it wasn’t for a newspaper delivery person.

If Kim Sarver had not taken action, "the story would probably be a little different today," said Briana Bateman, fire victim.

The Bateman family is doing well physically and has hope of moving back into their home because of the fast actions of a newspaper delivery driver.

Sarver, who delivers papers for the Savannah Morning News, drove by at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday morning when she spotted smoke coming from the garage area.

“I can’t even comprehend right now how close it was because if she had not been running her route at 4 or 5 something in the morning and had woken us up screaming and banging on the door," Bateman said. "She was our smoke detector.”

And it turns out they needed her, because the Batemans' smoke detectors were not working.

“Smoke alarms save lives and they do," said Chief Freddy Howell of Bryan County Emergency Services. "This is a prime example where a smoke alarm would have benefitted those people and just so happens that Kim was their smoke alarm this morning.”

And while Sarver wants to keep a low profile and not take a lot of credit for her actions on that morning, the Bateman family wants her to know how appreciative they are for what she did.

“I’d love for you to get in touch with us because we want to hug you and thank you," said Briana Bateman. "Seriously it’s yes, I mean thank you isn’t enough.”

Because of Sarver’s actions, the bulk of the damage was done to the garage of the home, saving the rest of the house from extensive damage.

In addition to the three adults and four children who lived at the home, there were four dogs, six cats, and two bunnies. All but one cat survived.