Officials: Navy medic killed at Fort Detrick after he shot 2 men in Maryland

Authorities say a Navy medic shot two people at a Maryland business park before fleeing to the Fort Detrick Army base, where he was shot and killed.


A suspect is dead and two Navy sailors are injured Tuesday after a shooting in Frederick, Maryland.

Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said officers were called around 8:20 a.m. to a military institution at the Riverside Tech Park, where the two victims were found with gunshot wounds.

"Upon arrival at the scene, they found two adult males had been shot. Both males were in critical condition; they were flown by helicopter to Baltimore Shock Trauma," Lando said.

Lando said at 2:40 p.m. that one of the victims remains hospitalized in critical condition and the second victim is expected to be released from the hospital Wednesday.

"It's terrible, it's unfortunate, it's very tragic," Lando said. "It's happening too frequently. Every time we turn on the TV, we see something like this happen, and now it's happening in our back yard. No one wants to see this type of thing."

"I just want to send the city's wishes to the families of the victims in the hopes for quick recoveries," Frederick Mayor Michael O'Connor said.

Police identified the suspect as Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, 38, saying he lived off base in Frederick. Police said the active duty Navy hospital corpsman used a rifle in the shootings.

"We’re still trying to sort through stacks of paper ... to figure out exactly what the motive would be," said Frederick Police Lt. Andrew Alcorn.

Around 8:45 a.m., Woldesenbet then drove 4 miles to the Fort Detrick military base, where he was stopped at a gate. He then drove past the gate and was stopped a short distance later, Brig. Gen. Michael Talley said.

"The subject was stopped at the gate. Before he was able to be searched, he sped past the gate, made it about a half mile into the installation. He was pursued immediately," Talley said.

Talley said Woldesenbet got out of his car and brandished a weapon before he was fatally shot by base personnel.

Earlier Tuesday morning, Fort Detrick officials released the following statement: "After a shooting incident off post, the suspect breached the Nalin Pond gate located off of Opossumtown Pike. The gunman was neutralized within minutes, and medical lifesaving procedures were initiated. The gunman was pronounced dead at the scene."

Police said there was only one shooter and there is "no more risk, no further cause for alarm in the Frederick community."

"Our No. 1 priority is the safety of our people," U.S. Army Garrison Fort Detrick Commander Col. Dexter Nunnally said in a statement. "Our emergency responders are well trained for these types of situations and the fast response of our military police enabled us to contain this threat quickly."

Jeremy Mutschler, director of marketing for Nicolock Paving Stones, which is near to the scene of the shooting, said in a statement: "There was a shooting within the industrial park where the Nicolock facility is located, and a victim entered our property seeking help. Our team was able to assist them and called the authorities. We are pleased to report that all the Nicolock employees are safe."

Gov. Larry Hogan has been briefed, and the Maryland State Police is assisting in the investigation.

"I've been in touch with the Maryland State Police. I know that they're assisting the Frederick Police Department and the Frederick County Sheriff's Office, talking with military folks on the base," Hogan said at a Tuesday morning event at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. "Our hearts go out to the victims and their families ... we're praying for them."

frederick shooting on progress drive
WBAL-TV\Jim Forner

Special agents and a K-9 team from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and officials from the FBI Baltimore field office are assisting in the investigation.

Frederick Community College activated its lockdown protocol. The college said there was no imminent threat on the FCC campus but it was monitoring the situation.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.