Body cam footage released reveals more details in fatal police shooting of Ma'khia Bryant

Footage from Officer Nicholas Reardon's body camera paints a picture of what happened in the death of Ma'khia Bryant once he arrived at the scene.


Warning: This video may be disturbing to some viewers.

At 4:32 p.m. on Tuesday, someone called 911 to report a disturbance on Legion Lane in Columbus, Ohio.

"We got these... grown girls trying to fight us. Trying to stab us. Trying to put our hands on our grandma. Get here now," the unidentified caller said.

Neighbors said 16-year-old Ma'khia Bryant made that call. Columbus police have yet to identify the caller. Chief Michael Woods said he didn't know if Bryant was the caller.

"We do not know that. Again, that will be (the Bureau of Criminal Investigation) interviewing all the witnesses to determine who made those phone calls," Woods said.

The caller's phone number was redacted in a computer-aided dispatch report obtained by sister station WLWT.

Footage from Officer Nicholas Reardon's body camera paints a picture of what happened once he arrived at 4:44 p.m. — 12 minutes after the 911 call.

As Reardon stepped out of his car, people can be heard yelling. Reardon yells, "Hey."

As he approaches a group of at least seven people, a female is seen falling to the ground during a scuffle with another person. That other person, who was later identified as Bryant, had a knife in her right hand.

Reardon draws his gun as Bryant starts to run at a girl wearing all pink.

At the same time, an unidentified man kicks the girl who is already on the ground.

At that point, Reardon is focused on Bryant who still has the knife in her right hand.

Bryant is seen drawing her hand back and then up, over the girl in pink who is pinned against a car.

That is when Reardon fired his weapon four times.

Bryant fell to the ground and the girl in pink took off running.

After the shooting, the knife can be seen laying on the ground.

Officers performed chest compressions on Bryant while others rushed to separate witnesses.

Bryant died a short time later at an area hospital.

Investigators have not yet identified the girl in pink, the man who kicked the other female or any other witnesses.

"Those are witnesses, so they were referred to (the Bureau of Criminal Investigation). So, (the Bureau of Criminal Investigation) would have that investigation. But again, that's part of their investigation," Woods said.

A spokesperson for Ohio's Bureau of Criminal Investigation said he did not know how long it would take the division to complete its investigation.