'I hope that this can save another child': Mom remembers 15-year-old daughter who died from coronavirus complications

The mother of a 15-year-old girl who died over the weekend from coronavirus complications said she's numb, but is determined to tell her daughter's story.


The mother of a 15-year-old girl who died over the weekend from coronavirus complications said she's numb, but is determined to tell her daughter's story.

Dar'yana Dyson's mom, Kandace Knight, said the teenager died from complications of the coronavirus. The teenager attended Milford Mill High School in Baltimore County and would have turned 16 next month.

The Maryland Department of Health confirmed the first death in the state from a COVID-19-associated condition called Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C).

The MDH said MIS-C is a severe inflammatory syndrome where pediatric patients present with features similar to Kawasaki disease, according to a national health alert issued last week from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MIS-C appears to be rare and most children who get COVID-19 will not develop MIS-C, according to the CDC.

Knight spoke to sister station WBAL-TV Monday as she took a break from planning her daughter's funeral.

"It happened so fast. I never thought that taking my daughter to the hospital for a stomach pain that I wouldn't be walking out of there with her," Knight said.

Knight took her daughter to the hospital on May 11. She had a fever, stomach pains and didn't want to eat.

Eventually, she also developed a rash. Knight described it as coming on very quickly.

"It was through her whole body, through her feet, her hands, her back and then it just disappeared. We never seen the rash again," Knight said.

Knight said her daughter initially tested negative for coronavirus, but then doctors tested her for the antibodies.

"They took her back to an isolated room and said that she had tested positive for the antibodies of corona," she said. "They said that somehow or another, she got both the coronavirus and the children's one."

Knight said her daughter was placed on a ventilator. Then, on Saturday, six days after being admitted to the hospital, she died.

kandace knight, left, and dar'yana dyson, right
Kandace Knight
Kandace Knight, left, and Dar’yana Dyson, right. 

"She just was too good for this world, she was too good for this world. She was so beautiful, she was too good for this world," Knight said.

Dyson was funny, loved music, loved to dance and to look out for her siblings. Her mom said she's sharing her nightmare to hopefully help others.

"I hope that this can save another child. People need to really understand that this kills people. This hurts people — this hurts people in ways that they'll never be able to come back from," Knight said.

"Any loss of life from this virus is tragic, but the loss of a child is devastating. Our prayers are with the family and loved ones of this young person," Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski said in a statement. "This is a stark reminder that this virus spares no one, and that we all must remain vigilant in our efforts to stay home, socially distance, and limit the spread of this deadly disease."

Knight hopes autopsy results will give them a lot more information — they should be back in about a week.

The family has a candlelight vigil planned for Wednesday.