Advertisement

'It could have been a lot, lot worse': Man recovering after his 15-year-old stepson rescued him from fire

The fire happened in a repair shop where they were draining fluids to get rid of a junk car. While the gas was being drained, it ignited.

Advertisement

A New Hampshire man is recovering after being rescued from a burning building by his stepson.

The fire happened in a repair shop where Robert Dinsmoor said they were draining fluids to get rid of a junk car, and while draining gas, it ignited. Dinsmoor, who is paralyzed from the waist down, was in a wheelchair.

His arms and hands caught on fire. Luckily, his stepson wasn’t far away.

“I was engulfed one second and then it died down,” Dinsmoor said. “As I bailed out of the chair in the other direction, he came in, dragged me across the floor. If it wasn’t for him it could have been a lot, lot worse.”

His stepson, Nathan Ruiter, 15, said he grabbed his stepfather by the shoulder and dragged him to safety.

“I was taking out the trash and I heard him yell,” Ruiter said. “I heard him yell, I looked back, and he was on the ground.”

Dinsmoor is dealing with the burns from the fire and the losses sustained in the repair shop.

“The amount of heat, smoke and then the water damage and everything that comes with that, it sounds like it’s going to be a total loss,” Dinsmoor said.

Dinsmoor said he has not been inside since the fire happened. He said it could take him at least six to eight months to get his business going again.