VIDEO: Firefighters and paramedics rescue litter of puppies from burning building

First responders rescued a litter of puppies from a burning building.


First responders saved a litter of puppies from a house fire in Fort Smith, Arkansas, Thursday morning.

When the fire broke out at about 11:40 a.m., the puppies were left helpless in the blaze.

Fort Smith firefighters attacked the flames, vented the roof, and then went into rescue to pets.

Crews were able to get the puppies out, but the battle wasn't over. The puppies badly needed oxygen after breathing in smoke from the fire.

Paramedics used their equipment to apply that oxygen, and they were able to all survive.

No humans were hurt in the fire either. And although parts of the house were badly damaged, it might actually be OK.

"There's extensive damage from fire and smoke and there's damage from the fire impression efforts, but for the most part this house was saved by the crews," Ethan Millar, battalion chief, told sister station KHBS.

The fire may have been caused by a heating lamp on the back porch that was being used to keep chickens warm, Millar said.

The building is a balloon-frame structure, and so it then moved to the house where it made its way to the attic. But firefighters were able to quickly stop the fire, Millar said.