Grieving mother wants to warn about dangers of 'huffing' so son's death isn't in vain

Trenton Bell was a 27-year-old father and husband when he died a year and a half ago from huffing.


A mother is sharing her late son’s story, hoping to save someone else from the dangers of huffing.

She said her son was addicted to air duster – used to clean up computer keyboards.

"I wish no mother would ever have to go through this, ever," Larisa Bell said. "It’s a horrible feeling. It’s an emptiness. It hurts."

Bell’s heartbreak is apparent a year and a half after her son passed away.

She said her son, Trenton Bell, started huffing air duster to get high as a teenager. He quickly became addicted.

"He would literally put the can to the mouth and it would make him pass out. His eyes would roll, irritability when he would wake up," she said. "Very disoriented, he’d pass out just randomly anywhere."

Trenton was 27 years old when he died. He was a husband and father of five.

"It’s dangerous. It’s deadly. It hurts your family," she said. "He tried to get help multiple times."

But help, she said, was hard to come by – without health insurance or enough money.

"He had a hard time finding jobs due to the fact he’d get paid and go to the store and get [air duster] – and it’s easily available," she said.

"It changes their mentality. He got very paranoid, scared, delusional," she said. "It just changes who they are. He always had a good heart, but with that, he didn’t care."

She said the addiction led him in and out of jail.

"They’d find him on the side of the road, behind a building, someone would call it in, or he’d just do it in the store where he picked it up," she said, "and they’d arrest him."

She hopes by telling her son’s story, it will stop someone else from huffing.

"Watch your kids. If you notice a can of any type of inhalant – computer cleaner, spray cans – watch," she urged parents.

If you are battling addiction or know someone who is, call the 24-hour action helpline at 800-522-9054.